A place on my bucket list, The Steens Mountains

Cloud shadows on Steens Mt. looking down at Lost Horse Lake (Thanks to Chris lawton on Oregon Photographers FB)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10922833_776868602361910_2073697031558749593_n.jpg?oh=d31f78769449639d0eaa71feaba1b914&oe=5534292E&gda=1428738546_d540caf56e54374de7ddbf9eb4af8419

I’ve yet to climb or hike in Oregon, but Mount Hood has always been on my bucket list. It’s only 11K, but a difficult climb nonetheless. 130 people have died up there.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone’s died up there on MT Hood(yet) this year, usually every winter some party or two gets caught in a storm and falls or freezes.

Looks like a strip mine like Flannel loves to dig

Been there a number of times…If your lucky you’ll see Mustangs and Pronghorn

Me and a couple friends headed out on a camping road trip heading for the Steens one time, but I think we drank all our money before we got there, we only made it as far as Paulina lake.

Did you go with these guys?

Hey how’d you get my pic?

The one on the right, my mother used to make me blankets that looked like that. Absolutely beautiful.

Only 11k, and very dangerous.

Helluva view once you get up there on a clear day though

Yep. I’ve climbed 11K Mt Baldy and San Gorgonio here at least 10 times over the years. Mt. Hood is the same height, but a totally different beast. For one, it has a permanent snow cap and is glaciated year-round. Crevices and avalanches claim a lot of victims. Secondly, there are no nice, well beaten trails above about 8K… like with Baldy and San Gorgonio. Finally, the weather is very unpredictable up there.

A lot of weekend climbers and hikers go to Hood with minimal gear and the expectation that it’s a nice day hike. They cruise up to about 8K, summit fever kicks in and they think they can go the rest of the way in the 3 or 4 hours of daylight left, Climbing on ice at night, without crampons or PRO in many cases is a recipe for disaster.

Hell some of the people that die up have been highly experienced climbers too.

Even some famous climbers. Absolutely nothing you can do about an avalanche or hidden crevice.

Yes. I’ve read a number of stories about the bad choices people have made on Mt. Hood and the crazy weather.

If you tackle it one day, I wish you the best of luck. I know you’ll be well prepared.

Thanks. If I can retire young enough to still half-assed move around, I plan on tackling a number of peaks I’ve only been able to read about up to this point…

mt washington is only 6300 ft but has claimed lots of people. very unpredictable.

I climbed the bleachers at Eastern Michigan football games lots of times.

Yeah, I’ve read a lot about Mt. Washington. Over 130 deaths. Crazy assed winds and huge swings in temperature… it can drop 40 degrees in an hour. If I’m not mistaken, the strongest wind speed ever recorded was up on that summit… 240mph. That’s insane.

i have yet to hike it in any season but summer, but a group i know is going next weekend. i may join them.

1 Like