Baby wipes. Holy crapola!

Slippery slope here. SLS is a widely used industrial chemical because it’s cheap and has “useful” properties. But its use in SOME baby wipes is not the only way it gets on or in babies. It’s a frequent additive in many shampoos, laundry detergents, TOOTHPASTE, and even FOOD.

I haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure you can find baby wipes that don’t use SLS. Of course they are still non-biodegradable and not very “green.”

But even if you found some and used only them to wipe your baby’s butt, your baby would still have plenty of other sources in its environment.

I’m sure you can find wipes without SLS. Their point is that, unlike with soap, shampoo, and toothpaste, people use the wipes and don’t rinse off the soap residue, which is what studies found to be the cause.

Crap like this is why I’m fanatical about organic and non-chemical products. The greed meisters have let loose 80,000 untested chemicals on the planet and the people.

My only point is, SLS may be “the” cause in terms of this study but the wipes and the slackers who use them are only ONE of numerous vectors for getting the baby doused in SLS. Scientific rigor would fault the study’s conclusion for that reason.

Also they plug up sewers terribly

1 Like

No, SLS left on the skin is one contributing cause cause in terms of this study.

Personally, I would steer clear of anything and everything containing SLS, and a butt load of other destructive chemical ingredients.

Well, do what you need to do. I’m sure we all want your next baby to be healthy.

And you keep using those “better living through chemistry” products to your little heart’s content.

That’s unwarranted and unfair. I eschew the industrial chemicals to the extent I reasonably can, under the constraints in which modern Americans mostly try to live.

It is tiresome when you reward my efforts to engage you in a conversation (with much more thought and effort than a mere Pity Reply) only to have you mischaracterize and flame my position simply because it isn’t congruent with yours. You’ve been doing it for a decade now, and maybe the posters who avoid your topics are wiser than I.

Spoon, your “efforts to engage [me] in conversation”

sound more like you mansplaining to me why everything I post is wrong.

I simply found the article interesting. You had to point out that the study is all wrong, even though you seem to have misread it.

:roll_eyes:

Alrighty then.

I’m glad we were able to settle this amicably. :heart_eyes:

A woman named Soranus wrote eloquently about this subject:

1 Like

Baby poo? Sore anus? Uh huh.

2 Likes

That was an interesting read. Tanks!