Come on L_B - you would have loved burning man

It does look fun. But waaaaaaaaaaaay too hot. No tanks.

I’d go, but I’m allergic to young scantily clad wimmins.

Jody should go - lotsa boobs hanging out there - should could do squeezes

Fake neo-hippies, I know quite a few of these types being a pot smoker… they’re not really about the environment, peace and love and all that, it’s all about me me me me me and their hippie events and b_*s likewise are all about the $ too… They’re fakes and flakes. I’d stab myself in the neck before I endured days at one of those things.

1 Like

Get back in yer tent - anyone who sez I am negative should fetch a look at you

Fuck,

Compared to you I am the eternal optimist

1 Like

Score. Rich trust-fund, daddy-is-a-doctor/lawyer kids.

1 Like

It looks stupid. WTF are they burning anything for?

It’s looks like a great time from one of the docs I watched - they would fucking love me there

I’m sure you’d have a great time. It’s just not my type of thing.

The dude that set it on fire 4 days early was pretty cool…

I don’t get the whole idea of let’s just burn it down.

One of the roots of the annual event now known as Burning Man began as a bonfire ritual on the summer solstice in 1986 when Larry Harvey, Jerry James, and a few friends met on Baker Beach in San Francisco[7] and burned a 9-foot (2.7-meter) wooden man as well as a smaller wooden dog. Harvey has described his inspiration for burning these effigies as a spontaneous act of “radical self-expression”.[8] The event did have earlier roots, though. Sculptor Mary Grauberger, a friend of Harvey’s girlfriend Janet Lohr, held solstice bonfire gatherings on Baker Beach for several years prior to 1986, some of which Harvey attended. When Grauberger stopped organizing it, Harvey “picked up the torch” so to speak, and ran with it.[8] He and Jerry James built an 8-foot (2.4-meter) wooden effigy for 1986, which was much smaller and more crudely made than the neon-lit figure featured in the current ritual. In 1987, the effigy grew to almost 15 feet (4.6 meters) tall, and by 1988, it had grown to around 40 feet (12 meters). Burning Man attendees informally called it “The Man,” and this name was given to each successive effigy, every year since Burning Man began.

Harvey states that he did not see the movie The Wicker Man until many years later, so it played no part in his inspiration. A wicker man was a large human-shaped wicker statue allegedly used in Celtic paganism for human sacrifice by burning it in effigy. Accordingly, rather than allow the name “Wicker Man” to become the name of the ritual, he started using the name “Burning Man”.[9]

I like bonfires too. I guess this is just grown ups being “youthful”.

Moar Burning

Good news around a festival that seemd to have become otherwise empty, except for privileged escapism.

It’s the same weekend as the “Best of the West” national BBQ competition down the road in Reno/Sparks, I’d much rather eat ribs during the day and play poker or something at night than prance around in the dust.

Referring to the 2023 flash-flooding debacle in which ~70000 were stranded and unable to leave for a couple of days, disease was rampant and one drowned

1 Like