D_M's Health Update

Don’t let the fuckers get you down.

https://youtu.be/xioTLvQtnzU

3 Likes

I appreciate your frank response and agree with everything you posted. To paraphrase my wife, "You have to do what have to do. Your only other option is to roll over and die, Nick. I suppose I would take the hospital bed over buying a bed. He’ll, it’s free. I can just roll it out of sight when it’s not in use.

On a plus note, my surgeon called today after I asked for his confirmation on what Palliative Care said. He said he doesn’t agree with them that I just have to accept my predicament. There are a few options including a potential surgery to build a sort of valve. He also prescribed a medication similar Prilosec that may help minimize the reflux. Finally, he said some of his patients just saw the problem disappear after a few months.

I’m still bummed about the shoulder/back injury. I did some research and there’s really not much that can be done to repair this type of fracture… assuming it is fractured. It just has to heal on it’s own. For this reason I’m not going to pursue anything with Kaiser. They will want to put me through a bunch of bullshit like xrays, scans and rehab. I don’t need the distraction while I’m going through chemo. Chemo is taxing enough.

Thanks again for the sound advice. Of course your right. Not sure I can completely get over this depression but I will try. I am considering hooking up with a cancer support organization down in LA called Common Wheel that teaches meditation and yoga. I hear that is tremendous therapy for depression.

6 Likes

Gotta agree with your wife and Spoon! Sleep can make a huge difference in your health and frame of mind, both.

That sounds much more encouraging.

Excellent, excellent idea.

2 Likes

Do what you can to keep your mind on track because it will so easily lead your body astray with it.

I know how frustrating all the treatments and procedures and scans and poking and prodding can be. It’s A LOT to deal with, especially in such a tight time frame. You are handling yourself really well.

I hope you can get some supports in place. I have no doubt it will make a huge difference in your mood.

3 Likes

Every day you fight, every day you don’t just give up like France is a great day. Your line is up, go get 'em

5 Likes

Thanks WK. I like having you in my corner friend.

1 Like

Here is a story about a cancer survivor I know personally

From cancer to Ironman

3 Likes

Nice story.

You know a cop?

I had to give him a pass on the cop thing

exception proves the rule and sich

Besides he always has cold beer

2 Likes

Wife bought me a couple of books to read while killing time during my 4 hour chemo sessions. Nice break from pecking away on a smart phone and I’m really getting into the old west these days.

7 Likes

Zane Gray, danke mir bis spater

1 Like

Josey Wales books are most excellent

1 Like

I just heard on the radio that French officials are believed to be having back channel discussions with ISIS to discuss the terms of a French surrender.

Too bad I can’t send you back in time to fight the French Resistance - should be easy - right?

:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Reading books is always more fulfilling than posting! :thumbsup:

1 Like

Enjoying my lunch outdoors today.

10 Likes

Lookin’ good DM!

2 Likes

I just stopped by to say Hi.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Was at the hospital for 3 or 4 hours yesterday getting a PICC line inserted for my upcoming return to chemotherapy. It did not go well. In fact, it failed miserably. The infusion RN could not get it to feed through my body and the harder she tried, the worse the pain got. I can’t remember pain so severe. My body was involuntary convulsing and she finally had to give up. So I go back tomorrow to have it done by radiological surgeons under a scope in the OR. It’s a much longer procedure, but they are better at it. Today I have to go get lab work done, which is SOP for surgery.