Did I Mention the Little Snapping Turtle?

I know I mentioned the Box Turtle I so smartly tried to help.

No? Well I’d better tell it then.

It was on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday about 5, 6, maybe 7 weeks ago. I was taking a little stroll down a favorite farm road toward the river. As you get closer to the water, there are what are essentially permanent puddles in the road, and I like to look in them and see what is going on there. I am on a first name basis with some of the creatures living therein. So this one day I find a small Snapping Turtle, 2, 3 could be 4 inches in overall length in one of them. Now, no doubt a little turtle like that can make a good living in a little puddle of the kind, but I know that four wheel drive doobags drive their doobaggy four wheel drives through them all of the time so after considerable debate I decided to fetch that little turtle out and deposit it in the river - which I did. Are you sure I didn’t tell you about this? This story sounds awwwfully familiar.
Anyways…
Today the puddles are all doing well on account of the near fucking incessant rain we have been blessed with, so I’m looking and there in the same puddle is a little Snapping Turtle, 2, 3, perhaps 4 inches in length, stationed in just the same spot. Gosh darn, I though, which is what my mom used to say so she wouldn’t be punching her one-way to hell by saying god-damn. Now, I’m not saying it is the same one, but I’ll give it high odds that this little turtle trekked the 80 - 100 yards through dense undergrowth just to get back there. Remarkable critters, turtles.

The fishing sucked incidentally.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hey, what up, Piffy?

1 Like

I grew up with boxed turtles and an ocassional snapper, missing my pet turtles now. :thinking:

I went for a hike today and just got back from the gym.

1 Like

Well you are quite the active little lassy. Sounds like you had a nice one.
Oh I have to mention one other thing which no doubt will unset some folks. I had a plum which, one reason or another, didn’t sit well with me, and by the time I realized that I needed to find a make-shift “facility” I was well away from any area in the woods with easy access. That only left two options so I chose the narrow shore line to leave the flies a most delicious feast. Of course I felt bad and made my apology to nature - " Sorry, but you called, and I answered".

Did I mention that the fishing sucked?

Yes, the plum and your fishing sucked.

There’s always tomorrow.

TLDR, Precis? Thumbnail? wut

Disagreeable plum.

Saved 2 turtles.

Fishing sucked

2 Likes

TY. No time to be preciserer

Today I’m over that way and decided to take a detour to see if Snappy was still there, and there he or she was. So I snapped a pic of Snappy the Snapping Turtle then on the way home remembered the trouble with Photobucket, and having just been there to witness the carnage, I am uncertain whether I can share the pic with you.
Had a nice day along the beautiful Lenapehanna - saw yet another Bobcat, found some new river access points. Hooded Warbler, Black and White Warblers, Northern Water Thrush. Many interesting flowers abloom.

1 Like