Eating some Cayenne peppers

The habaneros must have burnt my taste buds off because they aren’t hot at all, very mild actually. I did remove the seeds and ribs.

I bought some 1 inch PVC tubing yesterday, it cost about $65 with all the connectors. I have on hand a roll of 6 mil frosted plastic, it was meant for something else, never got used. That savings made this project doable.

I am making a 10 ft long by 7(?) ft wide greenhouse. It should work OK but if it gets blown down I will probably only have to replace a couple of connectors. Designed for easy assembly and dis-assembly, hand tighten only.

I will take some snap shots.

I don’t know if you’ll be able to grow much more than some very cold tolerant stuff in the winter… check out some of the ones people are making out of “cattle panels”. The panels are like $20 each at the farm store, I think they’re 16’ by 5’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTdS_4R0bbA

I’ve never had an habanero. Are they super hot? I’ve been rather intimidated by them.

Okay, grammar gurus…is it “a” habanero, or “an” habanero.

See in my head I read it as an AH-BAH-NEH-ROH…Spanish the h is silent so “an” habanero sounds right.

Interesting question…where’s Spoon or Rabbit?

I say it more like HAH-BAHN-EH-ROH

They’re fucking hot, I like hot food but eating those are like self abuse. I read where if you grow the cayenne peppers in more cool rainy climates they don’t get as hot as they do in hot drier climates. So that might be why these aren’t so hot.

I like hot food too, but I want to be able to breathe. A jalapeno makes my nose run, cough, etc.

An habanero might cause real misery.

The ones I think are habaneros (they could be some other type of really hot pepper) were supposed to be Pepperoncini peppers… that taught me to buy seeds on ebay… What I think probably happened is he grew some habanero next to his pepperoncini peppers last year and they cross bred, some of them look more like a pepperoncini and on the same plant.

I’m going to make some homemade pepper spray out of them for pest control next year.

Genetically modified peppers? :smile:

Yes, they’re probably great for pest control…I bet they could even deter deer from eating plants as well, rodents, etc.

Just crossbred, not the same as GMO, GMO is more like when they take some cockroach genetics and enter those into the equation.

I’ve read it will keep animals away too but you have to spray regularly and if it rains it washes it off. I’m thinking some hot pepper spray mixed with a little baking soda to help prevent fungal type diseases might a good all in one spray.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/valleymorningstar.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/56/35617482-606e-5783-90d0-00b1956e509c/50c2635c95925.preview-300.jpg

Not actually that’s not true. I heard a talk on this very subject. Anytime genes are shared among different types of species…it’s nature’s way of genetically modifying.

It’s just not done in a lab.

Humans have been doing it for thousands of years now.

Crossbreeding and hybridization have been going on for thousands of years and happens naturally in nature as well. They don’t cross breed with fish and cockroaches though, that’s GMO… I’ve heard some similar shit from the GMO propagandists on Yahoo before, it’s part of their new talking points to sell suckers on their franken food. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s all GMO. Check the science.

Think of the words

GENETIC and MODIFICATION

Granted, science is doing things that nature can’t…but it’s still about modifying genes

Q. What’s the difference between cross pollination/grafting/selective breeding that farmers have been doing for centuries and genetic modification? Just curious, because it seems like farmers have been screwing with genes for a long time now. – Joe, NY

A. You’re right, Joe. Farmers have used selective breeding for ages to increase the robustness and output of their crops and to produce and encourage other desirable traits. But there are some pretty huge differences between the techniques they’ve traditionally used and the high-tech ones being implemented today on mega farms that produce GM corn, cotton, soy, and canola (the four crops largely converted to GM technology so far). Put it this way: If traditional selective breeding is like two people with two different sets of genes being paired up by a matchmaker who thinks they’ll have pretty, healthy kids together, then modern high-tech GM breeding is like Victor Frankenstein slicing ‘superior’ body parts out of fifteen different corpses and using them to sew together his powerful, yet frighteningly unpredictable, monster.

Whoops. Did that sound slightly unscientific and/or possibly biased? Then don’t take it from me—take it from Craig Holdrege, director of The Nature Institute. He explains that the most critical difference between natural and GM breeding is that natural breeding crosses only organisms that are already closely related—two varieties of corn, for example—whereas, in contrast, GM breeding slaps together genes from up to 15 wildly different sources. Here’s how he explained the convoluted GM breeding process to me in an email:

To make a GM plant, scientists need to isolate DNA from different organisms—bacteria, viruses, plants, and sometimes animals (or humans if the target gene is a human gene). They then recombine these genes biochemically in the lab to make a “gene construct,” which can consist of DNA from five to fifteen different sources. This gene construct is cloned in bacteria to make lots of copies, which are then isolated. Next, the copies are shot into embryonic plant tissue (microprojectile bombardment), or moved into plant tissue via a particular bacterium (Agrobacterium) that acts as a vector. After getting the construct copies into the embryonic plant tissue, whole plants are regenerated. Only a few plants out of many hundreds will turn out to grow normally and exhibit the desired trait—such as herbicide resistance.

Or take it from Joe Mendelson, director of the Center for Food Safety. Here’s how he put in it in an email:

The difference is pretty large. In regular cross pollination, the species being crossed have to be related . . . basically respecting their common evolutionary origin. But with GMOs, you can take any gene from any species and splice it into a crop. So you get fish genes in tomatoes or the like.

And it’s not just cotton, corn, soy, and canola that are being genetically modified anymore—GM alfalfa and GM sugar beets are on the way.

Many food safety activists are, like Holdrege and Mendelson, concerned about the effects these six major GM crops will have on ecosystems, on agricultural production, and on our bodies. All that aggressive lab work, they argue, has the potential to bring consequences we can’t anticipate. Genetic modification has certainly upped agricultural output, which is a plus when food prices are high and many parts of the world are experiencing or are at risk for famine. But because almost all of us eat GM foods and produce every day, you’re wise to ask tough questions about the relatively new and largely untested technology.

I’m not impressed with the thoughts of paranoid people.

One fish gene in a tomato…isn’t creating Frankenstein.

It’s taking the properties of one trait, surviving colder temperatures and modifying the tomato in one way to make it also survive colder temperatures.

I’m not worried. I’m more worried about things like Fukushima and nuclear reactors myself.

Call me “ignorant”, don’t much care. I look at all the things in life that are “risks” and think other things are a higher priority.

Furthermore, GMO seeds seldom cross different, but related plants. Often the cross goes far beyond the bounds of nature so that instead of crossing two different, but related varieties of plant, they are crossing different biological kingdoms — like, say, a bacteria with a plant.

For example, Monsanto has crossed genetic material from a bacteria known as Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) with corn. The goal was to create a pest-resistant plant. This means that any pests attempting to eat the corn plant will die since the pesticide is part of every cell of the plant.

The resultant GMO plant, known as Bt Corn, is itself registered as a pesticide with the EPA, along with other GMO Bt crops. In other words, if you feed this corn to your cattle, your chickens, or yourself, you’ll be feeding them an actual pesticide — not just a smidgeon of pesticide residue.

I’m not impressed with your flawed logic that cross breeding and hybridizing plants is the same thing as GMO. :stuck_out_tongue:

it’s too bad you don’t understand the simple truth of what genetic modification means

but it’s okay, people don’t have to agree on everything

you have the right to your opinion…even if it’s flawed

I backed my shit up, you haven’t backed up shit… show me some links where it claims that cross breeding and hybridization are the same thing as splicing in some cockroach and fish genetics. lmao… Sounds like you sucked up some GMO propaganda. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah. I’m just not worried about it like you are.

There are more dangerous things in my opinion.

I can back up my shit when I care enough.

I ripped apart your little drama video on flu vaccines and seniors.

If I cared enough, I would take the time. Public health issues are important to me.

Freaking out about one trait from one fish gene in a tomato does not.