Fuck, sometimes I think I just ought to bag it, move to like New Mexico or someplace

Just live in a place that’s quiet and beautiful, etc.

yeah but then there’s this voice inside me that’s like waaah waaah no I want to stay in the city where the action is waaah waaah I want pussy waaah waaah what about really savoring life waaah 9/11 you’ve got history here boy waaahhhhhhhhhh waaaaaahhhhhh it doesn’t matter where you go it’s about you waaaaaahhhh

I don’t know about you, but I went to live in Portland (That’s Oregon’s largest City) and some of the rationales I gave my self was Theater, Blazer Games, diversity of Restaurants! etc etc, at least at the time I was a workaholic and almost never took advantage of any of that, for the most part I could have been in a small town, my life was work and bed, and once in a while a nearby bar to toss back a couple drinks. Then I moved to a quaint village on the coast.

2 Likes

Wow, I love the Oregon coast. Are you anywhere near Coos Bay?

I’m not now, where I was, was about an an and a half north of Coos Bay, I was in the Newport area

1 Like

sweet, friend.

That’s why someday I am moving to somewhere like New Mexico, southern CO, or wherever.

I know that I can have a small group of friends and be happy.

yeah, I have a similar idea. The only trouble with that plan is it’s “someday.”

Well, I have kids that need to be independent. Once they are, I’m the fuck out of here.

I have a plan…my 457, my pension and then a simple life.

Before moving to the Coast I lived and worked in a congested semi suburban area along a major commuter/business arterial and just running a quick errand down the road a mile or two could take a lot of time waiting to get onto the road with traffic and all…not too long after moving to the coast I had stopped at the little grocery store in the town I lived and as I was leaving I remember getting pissed off because I had to wait for about 3 cars to drive by…I caught myself and had a chuckle, back in PDX it could sometimes take several minutes just to get onto the road with all the traffic.

yeah but see my main thing is I don’t want to live someplace where I have to fucking drive. Driving to the store for groceries? no thanks. I’d much rather walk or bike. And most places in America you have to drive. So one of my requirements is lots of walking and biking. Which basically puts me in a city. And not just any city, but like SF (which is now wildly expensive), Seattle, Portland, or NYC.

Portland is a cool town, and by comparison with NYC it is a small town, and the Downtown area has had a resurgence of living spaces lot of condo towers, refurbished warehouses turned condos etc, it’s not cheap by regional standards, but a whole lot less than NYC.

Here;s some examples

Yeah, I like Portland ok, except I don’t like hipsters.

I doubt there’s really more hiptsers per capita in Portland than other major metro areas, I think that’s just an urban phenom, Portland has just had more press about it, with Portlandia and the like.

yeah, we have plenty here.
I find them annoying, especially when they are slow to bring my food or beer.

That’s hogwash.

You could live on the outskirts of a charming little town like Taos and bike in for groceries.

Easy-peasy.

yeah, Taos didn’t do much for me. The surrounding area did, but Taos proper? eh. Too many cars, not enough sidewalk, for one thing. The fucking sidewalks are narrow! They’ve let cars take over the whole town.

So there are other places. One of the most charming places in California is Cambria.

I would live there in a heartbeat. But you have to buy an already existing property or hope to get a license for water. That’s the very down side of Cambria.

Yeah, Cambria is nice. Easy access to Big Sur.