GOP Lawmaker: Lynch Anyone Who Takes Down Confederate Monuments

Yeah, I am just a simplistic dumfuck - I don’t know anything about what led to the civil war or the war itself

I have no idea about the 30 or 40 years before or after

Only you and fucking Lou know everything

1 Like

People getting offended by history in the present day is fucking stupid IMHO. You can be offended at people celebrating historical events in the present day but to take offence to something that has long since happened in a different day and age is ridiculous.

Sorry Duke.

So we should leave up monuments of institutionalized racism to cater to a bunch of dumbfucks… Oh and if history is so important, why did they wipe out over 99% of Native American history?

I say throw the shit in a museum and let BD6 write the words on the plaques.

Was it right to remove that history? If not, why is it okay to remove confederate history?

History forgotten is history repeated.

Just sayin’…

Apparently it was fine, but gawd forbid we take down some racist monuments or racist flag down from being displayed on gov. property…

Nobody has forgotten, that’s why it’s an issue! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no horse in this race and I understand where you’re coming from but I think we need to spend more time with our history rather than less.

1 Like

D_M already mentioned that. And I misspoke, I think I was recalling a stat for Massachusetts… but consider this.

"The election of an antislavery president had finally forced the South to make good on years of threats, and the exodus of 11 states from the Union had begun. Militant South Carolina was the first to secede, after a convention in Charleston five days before Christmas of 1860. Within weeks, 6 more states had broken off from the Union, and by the end of May, the Confederacy was complete.

As the most profound crisis in our young nation’s history unrolled, Fernando Wood, the mayor of New York, America’s most powerful city, made a stunning proposal: New York City should secede from the United States, too.

“With our aggrieved brethren of the Slave States, we have friendly relations and a common sympathy,” Wood told the New York Common Council in his State of the City message on January 7, 1861. “As a free city,” he said, New York “would have the whole and united support of the Southern States, as well as all other States to whose interests and rights under the constitution she has always been true.”
“The lifeblood of New York City’s economy was cotton, the product most closely identified with the South and its defining system of labor: the slavery of millions of people of African descent.”

“Slave-grown cotton is, in large part, the root of New York’s wealth. Forty years before Fernando Wood suggested that New York join hands with the South and leave the Union, cotton had already become the nation’s number one exported product. And in the four intervening decades New York had become a commercial and financial behemoth dwarfing any other U.S. city and most others in the world. Cotton was more than just a profitable crop. It was the national currency, the product most responsible for America’s explosive growth in the decades before the Civil War.”

…etc…

sourced from Slavery in the North (and South) - The History Forum

I did not read this whole thread (forgive me, but tdl;dr) so I hope no one else suggested this.

My solution: Remove all the statues, but do not destroy them. Our shameful memories must be recorded. Put them all in a museum of shame. If anyone needs to see them, they can go there, where they can be reminded of all the atrocities of slavery.

1 Like

So we build memorial museums. Germany did this to excellent effect.

Budapest put all theirs in a statue park outside of town.

Fuck putting them in a museum - they should be pulverized into fucking dust and the dust thrown into a fucking cement kiln

They are not fucking history -

What are they?

Statues of racist fucking haters - fucking con artists who make trump look like a beginner

how the fuck do you talk farmers into leaving their fields to get killed if yer not a con artist

put this fucking bullshit to bed - history my ass

1 Like

So we should just forget about the con artists? What happens when the next con artist comes along? I mean after the one you voted in as president.

No we should immortalize them and put them on a pedestal… and protect them… which is pretty much what you’re suggesting we do…

1 Like

They’re already on a pedestal. I’m just suggesting waving them there as a reminder of the end of slavery.

Maybe even force everyone who goes to the museum to spend one hour as a slave, just to get a real taste of what it’s like.