Grammar question

The first one is US English.
The second one is UK English.

1 Like

I think it is Aeroplane.

Thanks, actually it was a UK person that just sent something to me in the second format.

The first one is Modern Language Association, the second one is American Psychological Association. Books and magazines use the first one, newspapers use the second one. There are lots of differences between UK and US punctuation and spelling, but the difference between those two in the USA is usually determined by the medium in which it’s published.

I’ll be the first to admit than most of the time my grammar blows, but to me the 2nd one looks like what little I remember from High school grammar. It seems like I sort of remember some rule about comma’s and ands’ And yeah for being called English after our language it sure seems like the Brits get a lot of stuff wrong.

The second one is correct.

No. Please read my post. I actually know this beyond a shadow of a doubt. They are both correct, depending on the publication. The second one looks familiar because it is used in journalism. The first one is literary.

Sorry for the necro. Look up “Oxford comma” for further ambiguity.

The second one is grammatically correct in proper English.

What you Americans do with the language is your own business.

And here I thought Oxford was a UK institution.

1 Like

It is, as am I.

What’s your point?

I will leave you to your willful ignorance on the subject.

I thot you were Australian?

You are confusing where I LIVE from where I was BORN.

Read a link:

I don’t need a link.

Mon anglais est parfait.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19059922_10154473419616891_1953298507106265499_n.jpg?oh=48cf6384988d1155859c214d1977b00f&oe=59D56B75

62 posts were merged into an existing topic: Snowflakes Can’t Melt Message Boards

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Snowflakes Can’t Melt Message Boards

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Snowflakes Can’t Melt Message Boards