Just Curious

I am watching the movie Titanic again and I am wondering about the timeline for the making the movie, Clearly, the songs were a major part of the movie. It’s hard to think of the movie Titanic without thinking of the song, My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion.

How does this work? Does somebody produce a book and then the movie producer chooses someone to create the songs?

TY

Movie sound tracks can work in one of two ways and it mostly depends on budget. A big budget film typically will pay someone to produce an original score, usually after the film is completed to allow the musical artist and film producer to come up with the right feel for the film. A smaller budget project will simply find existing music to add to the film and pay the artist for its use. I’m guessing the Titanic music was an original score.

1 Like

It depends on the director too. Taranatino picks out his soundtrack. Kathy Nelson usually does his music supervision, but it seems like she mainly handles getting the licenses.

I believe John Hughes picked out his own songs.

Some directors also have regulars to do their scores like Steven Spielberg/John Williams or Tim Burton/Danny Elfman.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

Director James Cameron originally intended Enya to compose the music, and in fact put together a rough edit of the film using her music as a temporary soundtrack. After she declined, he approached James Horner. Horner composed the soundtrack having in mind Enya’s style.

I understand that specific artists were then solicited to perform the songs.

1 Like

Interesting. Thank you.

Hey, Lotus - if only he were wearing jeans and a t-shirt those women would all be tearing their clothes off for him.

Many movies, regardless of budget, have both an original score and already-produced music. It depends on the director’s vision.

1 Like