Large tomato varieties

I might try one called “Big Zac” next year, I see people getting 4-5lb tomatoes off of them.

I’d like to meet his Barber!

1 Like

I was just thinking someone made a comment about the guy’s hair. :slight_smile:

He actually looks a lot like one of my old High School Buddies, but Thom didn’t have the snappy do.

I wonder how many tomatoes of that size grow on a plant.

Whenever I’ve set out to grow a large tomato like that I prune it down to one or two vines and I usually get a couple huge tomatoes a foot or two up the vine and then the rest will be more normal sized.

I think the largest I’ve had was 2.5lbs though.

I’ve never seen anything like that myself. I wondered if a plant could support more than one or two huge tomatoes.

Interesting

1 Like

Yeah I was wondering earlier how you’d support a tomato that big, crazy. I think the world record biggest tomato was an 8lb’er of one of these… “Delicious” tomato

Those Belgium Giants I planted this year put out a bunch of big 1lb tomatoes and they’re pretty big. If I pruned them down to a couple vines they’d probably put out a 3lb tomato.

I haven’t had a garden in several years, but in my experience with tomatoes, it seemed like the bigger the tomato got, the “worse” it got at least as far as eating, it just seemed to me they get too fibery and less tomatoey, if that makes sense.

I agree, I’d rather have 20 of the 1lb tomatoes off a plant than 3-4 - 3lb tomatoes. I might try growing a couple of these big ones next year though just to do it.

Yeah, it’d be interesting to grow one, just to see how big you can get it, and all that.

Our tomatoes aren’t that big this year. We’ve tried to be careful with water because of the drought…so they’re tasty, but not very big this year.

1 Like

I got some nice tomatoes and still got a lot, but the plants didn’t produce like they did last year and neither did anything else, too much rain here. I’ve hardly picked any peppers except those ones I overwintered… they just didn’t grow like they should have… I’ll probably get one small but decent pepper crop here.

They’re predicting the next 3 days to be over 90 here, and we’ve already beat our previous record set in 09 for days over 90, in 09 we had 24 days over, I think if all 3 days are over 90 that will be 30…we did get a tiny amount of rain 2 weekends ago, but not much right in our area, some areas not far from here got a lot more. So we’re still very dry.

Interestingly, our peppers seemed to do just fine with less water than tomatoes. I’ve had a lot of serranos, jumbo jalapenos, and bells as well. I even planted some bird seed pepper seeds and have three little plants that have produced peppers too.

Interesting. I have crookneck and butternut squash that are producing very well. The strawberries have been delicious. I guess tomatoes simply need more water.

They like water but not every day for 3 months straight and not a lot of bright sun light = mold and blight.

Well, yeah you guys were walloped from what you’ve posted. One of the tomato plants overwintered and produced last year and this year too.

I don’t think that will happen again, we’re supposed to be getting lots of rain this year.

[quote=“Billdo, post:1, topic:10223, full:true”]
I might try one called “Big Zac” next year, I see people getting 4-5lb tomatoes off of them.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/big-zac-tomato.aspx[/quote]

That’s not a tomato, that’s a Mr. Olympia contestant.