Laurel or Yanny?

Laurel

Yeah, me too. I can’t even imagine how this could sound like “yanny” to anyone.

1 Like

A musical tone is shaped by its harmonics. A more generalized sound contains frequencies other than the harmonics that make up its base tone.

Language sounds are varied by these frequencies. If you remove frequencies, you may change the perceived sound that they make.

SInce L and Y are both lateral approximates in English (as is R), it doesn’t surprise me that if you remove the FUNDAMENTAL tones (the lower frequencies) that the sound would change to another, closely related one.

Yanny - 100 percent

not even close to laurel

what kind of computer speakers you got?

1 Like

My girlfriend was in the next room this morning and she said Yanny… while I was hearing Laurel.

20 buck Logitech - but they sound great with music

So, are you saying some people’s ears remove those frequencies, while others’ don’t?

Yeah, pretty much.

I was at the 2nd stop from the right before I heard Yanny. Everything left of that sounded like Laurel to me. Your mileage may vary according to how your ears and brain are attuned.

I never quite heard “yanny.” It was headed in that direction, but not there at all.

I’m trying to find another vid where they were explicitly mucking with freq ranges, and when they eliminated all of the low range I heard the “yanny”. Perhaps you hear the lows better than I do and so it’s harder to get you away from “laurel”.

Why are we clogging our brains with this bullshit?

Lots of other threads for you to read, you ain’t stuck here

Found the vid I was looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF9J14ba3Hw

2 Likes

Really?

Wow! Thanks - who knew?

I try to unclutter yer mind and wot do I get?

I presume Lotus and I are here because we find the topic interesting.

If you don’t, why presume we don’t either?

I recall a wise man saying something about menus in restaurants an sich

That guy is no longer with us, I sure do miss him

I think Six might be a bit concerned that he heard “yanny” 100%.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p8yI8m8MXYU

1 Like

half heard yanny - bet on it