My 2016 Garden Thread

It was 95+ here today… container tomatoes, looking kind of rough, quite a few tomatoes on them though, they’re all top heavy and a little wind will knock them right over especially if the pots are drying out. Cucumbers behind them starting to overtake them.

This zucchini plant is huge and just starting to produce…

Beans and cucumbers, overgrown…

Pumpkins took over, most of it came up on its own out of the middle there, I can’t even capture how big the thing is…it’s sending out vines that are like 20ft long.

1 Like

hah awesome man, those are going to be even huger once they start flowering, are you gonna build some sort of cage around them to support those big buds?

What strains you got going there?

Looks like some kind of guerrilla grow. You’re legal up there… right?

A little molasses tea for the ladies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv63S9icvLQ

Don’t let lights hit the plants after it’s dark

You’re in summer and it might fuck them up

You’re risking herms and revegging

1 Like

Yeah, I read that somewhere but figured it was bullshit. Come to think of it though, my indoor friends were always hardcore about not letting a molecule of light into their grow space off hours, and weed is weed, so it must be true.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll start doing my nightly maintenance before dark. I hope I didn’t already fukk them up.

I checked the video, I saw they’re still vegging so they should be ok

The problem is when they’re flowering, after 3 or 4 weeks

Since you’re doing it outdoors, you should keep an eye open for the photoperiod, how many hours of sun you have

Since you’re in Cali, you should be having 13 hours of sun and now it’s diminishing, so they should start flowering soon

This is an interesting tool. It’s funny that you only get 12/12 in late September, but they will flower with more time of light than darkness.

Yep, still vergging. Getting about 14 hours of sun right now, but I see in the graph on the link you posted we just hit the longest days and started the decline. I really hope they start flowering soon. I don’t really want any more veg growth. It’s going to be a bitch to harvest, trim, dry and cure this much as it is. I fukking hate trimming. I’m also pushing it with these 8 gallon pots. Should have went much bigger.

Got me a 10 pack of Boveda 62s and a few 30 gallon Smart Pots at one of the hydro shops in Riverside. A buck a piece for the Boveda’s. You can’t get them any cheaper online. $10 a piece for the Smart Pots. That’s less than half of what most are charging online. I’ll be doing a lot of business with this joint.

Billdo or Rancid… is there still time to transplant the girls into larger pots… and is there any benefit at this point? All are still vegging, but I’m sure they will start flowering any day now.

Any idea what might be causing this? I’m seeing this on 2 plants. Not widespread… just a few leafs.

I’d probably leave them at this point so you don’t stress them out with the transplant before they start flowering.

I’d transplant them, they’ll grow roots, but you might stress than a little, like Bildo said. They are looking very nice and healthy though, I’d say they’ll benefit from it

The leaf seems to be showing heat and fert stress, cut on the ferts a little

And you’re lucky, I got some Bovedas, but at 10 Reals each, LOL

Or just get some bigger pots, or even the same size of container, fill them up about 1/3 of the way and stick the smaller pot inside of it, the roots will grow down into the lower container. Probably works best with the same size container which is the only way I’ve ever done it… the container should then fit snugly down in the lower one.

Thanks, I think maybe I’ll just transplant 1 or 2 plants into the two 30 gallon pots I bought and see what happens… rather than go for broke and risk my whole crop. That will also allow me to see if I’m really root bound anyway.

1 Like

I thought about that, but then I’d have to buy a bunch more of the 7 gallon pots and I really have no use for any of the 7 gallon pots beyond this grow. Next year, I’m going 30+ gallon from the jump.

I also drilled really little holes in the pots for drainage. I don’t think the roots will grow much thru them. I guess I could try to drill larger holes now and try that.

1 Like

Definitely heat stress. It’s been well over 100f for over a month straight now with no end in sight. I water them heavy daily and by the next day the pots are light as a feather again… and my hydrometer shows they are barely moist. One good thing about using smart pots outdoors is that they don’t get as hot and retain a lot more moisture. I should have gone that route from the jump. These plastic pots are scorching to the touch.

Not sure about the ferts. I’m using subcool’s super soil and not adding any additional ferts other than a one-time very light top dressing of Epsoma 5-3-3 to give them a boost. it could be that I went to heavy on amendments when making the super soil.

Here you go man… this is what you need…

for big trees…
https://www.nwgsupply.com/600-gal-smart-pot-tan-86-x24.html

or some of these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Root-Pouch-200-Gal-Planter-Breathable-Fabric-Planting-Containers-and-Pots-1-Pack-RR800-200/203426363

1 Like

When it’s hot the plant drinks a lot more water, so it ends up taking more ferts too

That’s why you need to adjust the ratio of fert to the amount of water you’re using

You’re lucky they’re doing well in that heat, 100 is way too high for cannabis

That’s probably the reason why they’re not flowering yet

1 Like