OK Jazz Dans Soweto

(Yoinked off fb)

To lighten up my mood, I’ll post this. Title and description a tad incorrect. Actual title is Soeto.

Song start: 0:00, Lively part: 2:45, Instrumental: 8:18

Pointing out an error in descripton, I’l point out who the guitarists are and the guitars they are using:
-Thierry Mantuika is the mi-soloist; Fender Jaguar with a capo, plays fingerstyle, far right.

• Gerry Dialungana is the soloist; Fender Jaguar without capo, plays with a flatpick, centre right.
    -Simaro Lutumba is the rhythm; Fender Telecaster, plays with flatpick, centre left
    -Flavien Makabi is the bassist; dunno what he’s using, far left. (Pics in description.)

Guitar style in this particular song.
-Thierry plays mi-solo, supplementing the soloist’s lines and fills with chunky chords.
-Gerry plays the solo (or in western music terms; lead), with easily noticeable descending melodic fills (he almost never plays this fill during singing parts), though he does provide melody on some singing parts.
-Simaro plays the “accompaniment” (or rhythm), and he repeats arpeggiated riffs (one unique riff for each of the thre parts of the song). During the fills, though, he plays with the fill, albeit differs from what Gerry and Thierry play.
-Flavien is the bassist. Since you’d know how a bass would sound, description is not necessary. Still good though.

Disclaimers: “Solo” only means Gerry plays melodic passages with a rapid succession of notes, as there are no actual guitar solos in TPOK Jazz music. “Mi-Solo” differs from “Solo” as it’s usually the freest part in the song, with room for improvisation, but unlike Western music (where free usually means it’s a fast melodic solo), Mi-Solo is usually played with chunky chords, and at times, arpeggiation of chords. Mi-Solo is almost always played fingerstyle and with a capo. The “Accompaniment” or Rhythm Guitar is the backbone of the song. Thus, plays either arpeggiated riffs based on a chord progression, or whole chords.

https://youtu.be/IMddiBmrdBw