Old battleflag thread

“the Others” have heard this story, but when I was flirting with College I got into a healthy athletic phase I was biking (bicycling) lap swimming, blowing money on vitamins and even trying to eat healthy…one beautiful spring day I went home early and for some reason or other was feeling antsy and energetic, so I thought I’d take my road bike out for an hour or so, work up a sweat burn some brain enzymes and relax…I thought it’d be a good idea to get a little nourishment before I took off, so i got a glass of orange juice and took a spoonful of brewers yeast to toss back in my mouth and washed down with a swig on the oj…turns out there was a large clotted lump of brewers years that instantly lodged in my throat…I was home alone and choking I tried to Heimlich myself couldn’t get enough leverage on the highback chairs.in the kitchen…slammed myself against the wall trying to lodge the lump blocking my throat loose…my vision was starting to blur around the edges I hadn’t had a breath in maybe 30-40 seconds I remembered the backyard neighbor mowing his lawn on the other side of a chain link vinyl blinded fence…I thought if I could get to him and get his attention quick enough and be able to convey to him mutely that I was choking and near death…i’d have a shot…I pulled open the sliding glass door and then tripped and fell face first on the concrete patio slab…I was near the end, I couldn’t lift myself up…peripheral vision was getting worse, going dark…after one last attempt to get up and reach that fence, I collapsed cheek to deck…at that moment I felt this sense of calm, and the realization that I was choking to death on fucking health food…then I heard this weird hissing noise…and then I heard it again…and I realized that I was now able to suck in a tiny little amount of fresh air…in a minute or so that clump of brewers yeast had dissolved and been swallowed…and I was still alive. (As far as I know)

1 Like

That’s a fucking story. Why you would eat live yeast is beyond me though.

Do you know if you ingest enough yeast your body can produce alcohol in your lower bowel and you can become permanently plastered. It requires medical intervention to stop the process once it begins.

1 Like

I’ll bet you not more than one Yank gym rat out of five knows that.

Brewers yeast has all yer amino acids for building proteins an shit in your body.

Maybe, but I’d denature that shit before I ate it.

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/solgar-brewers-yeast-14-oz-powder/sl-1047

I consumed recommended norms of this stuff, like a a couple tablespoons a days +/- worth for 3 or 4 years, and I never became intoxicated. I was in the best shape of my life swimming a mile a day 5/6 days a week and bike riding on avg 10 miles min. I wasn’t too fast or an iron man, but I was in pretty decent shape.

I know the difference, I also know brewers yeast produces higher levels of alcohol. Champagne yeast is even higher again.

Since I don’t use alcohol these days, I don’t worry about yeast shit rotting my guts (thanks to Vonnegut, I did worry about that at an earlier stage of my life.) And I’ve never ever eaten yeast as a dietary item, not even in the company of other ppl who were always making health or gym related shakes to drink. But I do have a vague, fuzzy understanding of the various stages of alcohol metabolism and the toxicity of some of those metabolites, heck there’s even a specific genetically linked disease where some ppl can have a glass of wine and stay buzzed for a week or two on it.

Or where they drink, but can’t reproduce the metabolites needed to break down alcohol. It’s common among Asians. They can drink a little, then once they hit the tipping point it becomes toxic to them. Like saturation point chemistry.