Sessions tells US prosecutors told to push for more, harsher punishments

How about harsher punishments for treason and lying to congresss mr. swamp rat?

WASHINGTON (AP) – Attorney General Jeff Sessions is directing federal prosecutors to pursue the most serious charges possible against the vast majority of suspects, a reversal of Obama-era policies that is sure to send more people to prison and for much longer terms.

The move has long been expected from Sessions, a former federal prosecutor who cut his teeth during the height of the crack cocaine epidemic and who has promised to make combating violence and drugs the Justice Department’s top priority.

“This policy affirms our responsibility to enforce the law, is moral and just, and produces consistency,” Sessions wrote in a memo sent Thursday night to U.S. attorneys and made public early Friday.

Advocates quickly criticized the move as a revival of the worst aspects of the drug war that would subject nonviolent, lower-level offenders to unfairly harsh sentences.

“It looks like we’re going to fill the prisons back up after finally getting the federal prison population down,” said Kevin Ring, president of Families Against Mandatory Minimums. “But the social and human costs will be much higher.”

The move is an unmistakable undoing of Obama administration criminal justice policies that aimed to ease overcrowding in federal prisons and contributed to a national rethinking of how drug criminals were prosecuted and sentenced.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-prosecutors-told-push-more-harsher-punishments-100153377--politics.html

Prisoners = Profits

1 Like

See you guys in Commie Donnie’s gulags…

2 Likes

This is only fer federal stuff

I say harsher sentences for Sessions, Trump, and Pence.

1 Like

I don’t get it. They won’t put money into social programming and health care but they’ll happily pay room and board for drug users?

1 Like

They don’t pay for it. Prisons are for profit here.

How does someone profit from a prison?

They do pay for it. The prisons profit from the government. They say they can run it cheaper but they still pocket a lot from providing a shitty “service”.

Free inmate labor.

By pay for it, you mean they give out tax dollars to the profiteers who are in the prison business.

Are they profiting at all from the government or do inmates make enough in work to pay for everything to run?

Yes, exactly. The same as the private water in Flint.

So it’s a public / private partnership.

They get government subsidies as well, of course. But there is huge incentive to jack up incarceration numbers due to these profiteers. It should be illegal.

1 Like

So you, as a tax payer, still pay for inmates.

Wouldn’t that money be better spent on programs to keep people out of prison?

And I completely agree with you that prisons should not be for profit.

Of course it would.

I’m sorry your current government is wasting your money and treating people like shit.

Google KIDS FOR CASH

Plus the prison system is a jobz program for conz that weren’t quite smart enough to be a cop…