Sharia Creep and other theocratic stuff

Folks invested in harmful myths about Dearborn, Stockton says, have “a social and ideological location within the population. They’re almost all on the right, they’re almost all Republicans, and they’re almost all over a certain age.”

It’s part of a broader cultural battle, said Dawud Walid, executive director of the Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.“These people feel like they are losing their America, because the true America is reflecting and embracing more diversity,” he said. “… Many are using the politics of fear to galvanize their bases.”

A willingness to believe provably untrue statements has an element of cognitive dissonance, says Rana Elmir, a Dearborn native who is deputy director of the Michigan American Civil Liberties Union.

“When presented with proof, hard evidence, that Dearborn is a thriving and diverse city, that doesn’t comport with the information they’ve already invested a lot of brain power and emotion into believing,” Elmir says. “They can’t imagine journalists and politicians are telling them a lie. They rely on the fear and xenophobia they’ve been fed. At our base, we’re all emotional creatures.”

But there’s something else, Elmir said: “A real lack of intellectual curiosity, empathy and the ‘othering’ of an entire community”—connected, she said, to consistent depictions of Arabs and Muslims in popular media as brutal and foreign.

The bigotry just astounds me.

Who, me?

I assume you refer to this one?

I don’t explain it. I haven’t really seen it as a normative behavior. One reason for that is, that even secular leaning Muslims will become more orthodoxified when they become less of a minority. The usual tipping point historically has been about 20%. And once your secular leaning Muslim is no longer in the minority, they don’t lean any longer because in an Islamic state the remedy for apostasy is death. That is what history teaches us about Islam.

It looks like you’re doubling down on your earlier, unretracted and unclarified smear of my character and intelligence, Lotus. It’s not the case that anyone is stupid or jingoistic merely because they see things differently than you do.

I’ll check back later…errands beckon.

That isn’t a claim I made.

Please re-state the claims you did make then, because I’m honestly not understanding you.

Link to some authoritative proof of this? In contemporary contexts, please.

1 Like

I am claiming that neither you nor anyone else can make monolithic claims about Muslim beliefs. What is unclear about that? I am claiming that Muslims, as individual human beings, run the gamut in their belief systems in the same way that individual adherents of any religion or philosophy do. I am claiming that making sweeping claims about negative beliefs of all Muslims is a form of bigotry.

1 Like

Have you actually read the Noble Quran? It’s not a belief system, it is something far more problematic. It’s not just about the sovereignty of Allah, it’s even more so about the sovereignty of a 7th century self-appointed camel dealer cum Prophet with a rather barbaric understanding of how to interface with the rest of the world…including its women and even seven year old girls.

Can you demonstrate this level of barbarism within our countries?[quote=“E_Normus_Johnson, post:24, topic:20961”]
I don’t explain it. I haven’t really seen it as a normative behavior. One reason for that is, that even secular leaning Muslims will become more orthodoxified when they become less of a minority. The usual tipping point historically has been about 20%. And once your secular leaning Muslim is no longer in the minority, they don’t lean any longer because in an Islamic state the remedy for apostasy is death. That is what history teaches us about Islam.
[/quote]
Can you direct me to an example of this please?

1 Like

Spoon, there is a lot of insane shit in the Bible, too. But do you believe every Christian adheres to its more insane strictures? What do you not understand about this? Muslims have been in LA for decades, and their numbers are quite large. If instituting Sharia law was their goal, I think they would have made far, far more progress by now.

1 Like

I don’t know why people adhere to this fallacy that we will have sharia law in our countries. We will NEVER be ruled by sharia law.

1 Like

It’s fear and bigotry, imo. Also, ignorance of the actual people who practice the religion. I mean, before the US went into Iran and deposed the democratically elected prez and installed the Shah, the people of Iran were basically westernizing on their own. It was our meddling in their country that turned a lot of the population into religious zealots.

2 Likes

Soon they will arrive by the hundreds of millions via their magic carpet air force and donkey cart navy, be ready, worship Thor.

2 Likes

If we let them in, it’s on us.

Just sayin’, but so far, they haven’t come knocking in droves.

FINALLLY! Someone who understands!

Thank you Jesus!

Can someone catch me up with the haps in here?

Thanks.

Terrorists are evil.

As I have told you MANY MANY times, “radical” “deranged” “extreme” and “fanatical” muslims are a product of the entire belief system called “Islam”.

All belief systems consist of a hierarchy, with each level culturing, nourishing and supporting the level above it. Take away the masses of accolytes, and the whole system collapses.

I shall use the Nazi analogy that I’v e used with you in the past.

Imagine Germany, 1929. A diminutive, fervently maniacal orator wearing a boy scout uniform and sporting a Charlie Chaplin knockoff moustache stands up in a beer hall full of wasted Germans and tells them the reason their country is a mess is “der Juden”.

Now, these inebriated, impecunious working class joes throw empty steins at him and tell him to shut the fuck up. Nobody listens. The idiot slinks away, and is heard of no more.

But no. Das Deutsche volk listen, and scream “Jahwohl”…and Hitler rises.

The Nazi pyramid grows. And when it is finally confronted and put down, it is the German people that gave rise to this deviant that had to pay the price, because he was a construct of their own failure to stand for what was right.

Modern islam is no different. They belong to the very same belief system that blew 22 kids away in Manchester, and levelled the World Trade Centre. Their conviction feeds the commitment of those higher on the pyramid; it gives the militants and radicals a sense of purpose in that their cruelty and barbarism is BECAUSE of the muslims they claim to represent, on the level below.

Just as EVERY American is to blame for the illegal Iraqi war, every muslim is responsible for the carnage of their militants.

Separating them, in effect absolving them from culpability, will serve us no good whatsoever. Each and every muslim must decide where they stand and act accordingly. If, or perhaps when, the West acts to rid this blight from our midst, they will have no excuse for not standing with us.

I blame you for Dylan Roof.