Sooooo glad the work week is almost over

and I do not have a stack of papers to grade at this moment in time.

1 Like

Heh. I remember every year when my mom would bring home her haul of Term Papers (HS honors English). I recall having sympathy for her except for when I was in HS myself and had to write them. The mindset of course was it was on her for assigning such hefty tomes.

Yeah, yeah, I do get the reasoning, she did notecards and outlines, prep work for actual research papers later in life.

But still :laughing:

I used to think the same thing when my teachers would complain about the amount of grading they had to do :slight_smile:

Think of it this way: for every paper you write, I read 150 of them, and I write all over them.

I am required to assign 7 papers a semester. I read more than 1000 papers every damn semester. It’s a pain in the arse, to say the least.

1 Like

I bet you do most of that on your own, unpaid time to boot. Talk about adding insult to injury.

I would just give everyone a good grade that bothered to write one and not really read the damn things. lol

I’d love to do that, but I’d get busted and fired.

Yes. All grading and class prep is unpaid in Adjunct World.

I bet you could get away with it forever… how are they going to bust you for that, just glance at it, glance at their grammar, give it a grade lol

We are lucky teachers love what they do or the education system would be screwed.

Because they go on to take other classes, and the assumption is when they have passed my class, they have learned to do the things they are required to do in the next class. The admin knows who taught which students. Trust me, the administration consists of bean counters who look for any excuse to nail your ass. And there re administrators everywhere.

1 Like

Once in college, I slipped in a nonsense sentence just to see if it would be noticed: it was not.

Think of Robin Sherbotski and “I’m a dirty, dirty girl”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdW3xK6hjfI

After that, I didn’t take that class at all seriously.

My Philosophy of Law prof read out our papers in class and made two piles.

I attended a college where these cheesy foolscap booklets with lined pages and blue covers were universally used in exams where essay questions were involved.

I had one prof who, it was rumored, never opened up those essays but merely carried them upstairs in his house and with one toss of his arm, flung them back into the stairwell to flutter and land as they might.

His wife would then begin at the bottom to pick them up and stack them, beginning with the lowest steps. At some point he would say, “Okay, that’s enough A’s…start a new stack.”
And on up the steps.

Those cheesy blue books are still in general use everywhere for written exams. There is also a green recycled version.

I’ve heard that about soooo many teachers that it’s risen to urban legend in my mind.

There may be some profs who do that, but my experience is that by far most of us struggle through reading every word our students write. And I mean struggle. The ones that are a pleasure to read are few and far between.

I’m sure there are profs who don’t read papers and blindly grade but do you think any really chuck them down the stairs?

Students would be beating down the doors wanting to know why their grades didn’t match their efforts.

This is definitely true.