Texas Shooting

Tone is extremely subjective online, as you well know and I don’t think my tone is male bashing. I have a great deal of concern about what’s going on with men folk. I have a son. I also have a daughter. This is important stuff Norm.

Again, this is seemingly a MAN problem. Should I not say that?

Rather than repeating over and again that it’s a MAN problem, try looking objectively at why it is, and see what can be done about it.

I will submit that (to the extent it’s a MAN problem) that largely derives from the patriarchal power structure and the old white guys who run things. And I’ll elaborate, if you like.

Thus, it’s actually (in my estimation, and speaking over generations of men) an OLD RICH WHITE MAN problem. and if you look at it world wide they aren’t really all WHITE but they are all OLD and RICH.

Do you want to look at this with me, anyone?

Here’s what is going on with all the OTHER MEN.

They are in the underclass at best, and many are in the SUB underclass. Yet they have been culturally trained to be Audie Murphys and John Waynes, and conscripted or seduced or economically funneled into soulless imperialistic military service where they were handed an AR15 and trained to kill people with it. Then, after a time, if they survived the psychic trauma and escaped being killed, they were sent home to discover their jobs had all left the country and they were strapped to fulfill their jobs as MEN. But for a mere six hundred bucks they could go and buy an AR15 and feel less powerless. Do you see where I’m going?

And even the OTHER LOSERS who don’t end up with military experience can go buy one too. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out how to operate one.

They did not have easy access to mental health services, nor cultural approval to seek it.

Even then, some of them take decades before they go postal.

The components of this problem are far more complex than simple gender, and for that matter not limited to gender since now it’s possible for females to also have very similar experiences and outcomes…even though females are quite in the minority right now.

Add to this that there are estimated to be three hundred million firearms in private hands in the US, most of them legally, OF WHICH between five and ten MILLION are AR15s. Those fuckers are largely rustproof and can sit around for many decades and still be ready to rock and roll if someone gets an itch.

There is of course NO NEED to have all those weapons around…the market for them was thought to be saturated YEARS ago, yet they keep cranking them out and people keep buying them for reasons I cannot fathom. Figuring out what to do with all of them is an even bigger piece of the puzzle than not making or selling any more of them.

2 Likes

No one but you knows what you INTENDED but those who read the post are of course likely to INFER intention other than what you THOUGHT you said. It would surely not be the first time forum readers misunderstood your INTENT, but that’s a problem you’re free to keep ignoring if you wish.

tl;dr :wink:

Here’s my take: My life sucks and it’s someone else’s fault, probably an “other” of some sort.

1 Like

This is where BigDukeSix would insert that great anthem “Born In The USA”

After which I would thank him for his service.

1 Like

I have to deal with this in pieces.

These problems have been going on before old white guy ran things and extends far beyond white guys running things. I’m happy to keep this in an American context if you prefer but I’m not sure I agree.

I understand the patriarchal power struggle extends beyond as well but I’m not sure which piece you are specifically applying.

I’m not sure I understand your post, but two things:

1. Old white guys have ALWAYS run things.
  2. I’m speaking of the US but I’m pretty sure that’s true pretty much elsewhere except when the old guys are tan or yellow.

That’s my point. There’s no such thing as an old white brown guy.

But the old white rich guys aren’t the ones shooting up churches.

Looks like they prefer country western concerts.

1 Like

The exception isn’t the rule.

Old rich guys don’t usually do the shooting, Starling. And when they hire it done there usually isn’t an audit trail. That hardly means they aren’t involved, though.

I’m in agreement with you until here.

Although I agree that this problem is far more complicated than gender, it is predominantly (98%+) a problem plaguing men. Women have the same ability to access firearms as men do in the US yet they aren’t committing mass shootings. Although it’s possible, it’s not happening while we are seeing an increase in men committing these crimes.

When looking at crime, we look at three things - motive, means and opportunity. Access to firearms only satisfies the means. Rather than focusing on the how, we need to look at the motives. Those extend past military service, trauma and poverty.

In reading about the actions of terrorists, who generally commit or attempt to commit acts of mass murder, experts have identified a general hatred for society, a sense of not belonging, lack of connection to society, hopelessness, frustration, and a feeling of impotence. Some of these traits are seen in those exhibiting signs of mental illness as well.

If we couple the above feelings with the prevalent behaviour of men not seeking medical, emotional or psychiatric supports, it’s not hard to see how shit can go sideways very quickly.

To conclude this post, I think the problems extend far beyond power, military, and gun control. This is further supported by those who opt to mow down people with cars rather than shoot them with guns. The means vary but does the factors that drive motive really change that much? I don’t think they do.

Of course not but how is it they are able to recruit young men to do their dirty work? Is it because young men are looking for belonging, direction, a role model, and to curb their feeling of impotence as I just outlined? I’m going to outright say yes.

What if he just hates those cans?

No, but more mature men have the potential for growth but not all of them do.

If you didn’t write the script, then smack the person who is peddling that nonsense for me please.
[/quote]

It is what it is. It’s human nature.

Mass shootings ARE exceptions, Starling.

1 Like

Fair enough but violence commited by men isn’t.

And Lion, there have been over 300 mass shootings in the US this year alone. Exceptions tend to be one offs not an everyday occurrence.