Guitar

Okey dokey :))

Smoke on the water is good one to practice for hours and hours on end.

1 Like

and after you learn that youā€™ll be ready to move on to cat scratch fever by terrible ted.

1 Like

I practice Stairway to Heaven a lot and Bohemian Rhapsody and Yesterday and Letā€™s Go Band.

Oh, any tricks on barre chords? I canā€™t do an F to save my fucking life.

Also, why are there multiple versions of chords?

Strengthen that index finger. You gotta get all those strings to be able to vibrate. No tricks.

(Edit: see Billdoā€™s next post for an exception)

Because of how chords are built (or technically, ā€œspelledā€). A C-chord for example is C-E-G. This can also be inverted to E-G-C or G-C-E. So as you move up and down the neck, you build the chords differently to get a version of that spelling.

Your 5 main open chords are C, D, E, G, and A (and the related 7th forms A7, E7, D7, and the minors for Am, Em, and Dm). Your two main ā€œbarre chordsā€ are based on the A and E forms (also A-minor and E-minor), just transposed up the neck with your index finger providing the backbone that the nut normally provides for the open chords. It is possible to construct bar-chords with all 5, and many other ā€œshapesā€ provide other chords. Basically you are rearranging the order of the letters in the chord spelling.

1 Like

F, try using your thumb for the low noteā€¦ like Hendrix is holding this G chordā€¦ I usually play the E string major bar chords like heā€™s doing.

2 Likes

Right, I use this cheat too, for the bar chords based on the E shape.

And thereā€™s like numerous chord voicings in that one chord just by playing all or parts of it.

Sure, as well as picking at some and not others, to get a more open chord, like C+G+hi-E. Endless possibilities

What is it about the Charvel that makes it ā€œfunnerā€ than the others?

1 Like

@E_Normus_Johnson I noticed awhile back that some of my footpedals have become ā€œvintageā€ and worth more. I got one of these, it was a newer one when I got it. Nice pedal though.

Fuck I used to have one of these, this oneā€™s a piece of shit and they want $209 bucks for itā€¦

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-DIGITECH-MULTI-PLAY-PDS-20-20-MULTI-FUNCTION-DIGITAL-DELAY-w-ORIGINAL-BOX-/222218448440

It has a narrower neck and lighter strings than my acoustic. I like the Ovationā€™s neck size, which is why I got it, but the rounded back makes it more difficult to play while sitting.

@Billdo Iā€™ve never played electric although Iā€™ve worked on a lot of em. The TS10 was a huge seller and I never heard anyone knock it. The other pedal, none of my friends have used thatā€¦must be why itā€™s ā€œrare.ā€ Around here ppl seem to prefer echo delay, thereā€™s a Boss pedal some of em have and like.

Well, yeahā€¦itā€™s an electric. You should trade the Ovation for something with corners so it wonā€™t fall off yer lap, and will probably sound a lot better.

Itā€™s better at your stage to practice with an acoustic, strung pretty light. Youā€™ll be more attentive to tone and clarity if you do.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to get lighter strings for my acoustic then and give that a go.

Stay with phosphor bronze, and donā€™t go lighter than 11-52. If it wonā€™t play decently, it needs some adjustingā€¦or a trade.

Yeah I might want to do that now that I know what Iā€™m looking for. I do want to get rid of the Ovation.

Whatā€™s your budget and what do you think the O will bring in trade?

Under $500 and I have no idea. I bought it used for $200.

You should look for a used Guild GAD-30. They were about 600 new, made in China five, ten years ago. Really nice for the dough. If no luck, there is a (current) Guild Westerly line that is made in China or Korea, a continuation of the same idea (reproducing the US made Guilds of the sixties.)

Also, there was the nineties era Epiphone Bluesmaster, an offshore replica of the thirties Gibson L-00 if you can find one used.

There are a couple of guitars out there new right now that are variants on this same idea, probably around 300 bucks from online sources and you could peddle the Ovation on Craigslist for a hundred. Let me know if you want a bit of research done.