So, I tried to use my ATM card to pay at a parking meter

$2 parking fee – denied.

Call the damn bank. WTF is up?

Bankster: “There was a security breech and we had to shut down your card. We sent you an email.”

Me: Thinking to myself “Sure you did. Disguised as spam.”

I never saw no stinking email. Anyway, now I have to go to the bank and get a temp card, and wait for the permanent card to come. I hate this shite.

I am grateful I wasn’t trying to pay for groceries when this happened, though. Sheesh.

1 Like

My bank prints me out new perm cards on site.

1 Like

That’s why I use cash.

3 Likes

Mine does not. I have to do the temp card thing. My credit union does, but they weren’t the problem.

I usually do, too. But sometimes I run out of cash, and I have to get the cash form the bank. And if the bank is closed and your ATM card is blocked, wtf do you do?

I keep it under the bed mostly.

1 Like

That happened to me with my credit card while we were travelling. There was a breech at Target and I had used my card while I was in the US months earlier.

So there I am at a hotel check in desk with a cancelled credit card. I only have one. Luckily they re-activated my card for the trip or I would have been hooped!

3 Likes

I hate it when that happens.

I got one of those letters about 4 days before we were to fly on a long trip, and the card was the one that we were using to rent cars etc. The replacement card would not have made it in time, so we called and asked them to reinstate the card. The replacement did arrive before we left tho, so it would have been ok, but we could not have taken the chance.

4 Likes

When I came back from the US, someone had tried to use my identity in Brazil and the only reason they didn’t do it is because I didn’t go thru some sort of renewal of my SS equivalent, the CPF and also because I didn’t vote

Now I have my name on a “don’t give credit unless full documentation is presented” service list

If anyone dares to open anything on my name, I can sue them to hell and back

Having to present a passport on these situation will stop virtually 100% identity theft here

I like to keep a good wad of cash at home too

In case of an invasion, these scumbags will leave almost immediately after they get a good amount of hard dough

1 Like

A friend of mine has a sign up at his business by the counter…

CASH ONLY - No Checks, No Debit, No Credit

and they bring him cash…

A friend of mine retired a few years ago from a guitar shop he ran for about forty years. Had a cool antique cash register and an invoicer with a crank, and a lovely old sign on the register that said CASH ONLY. He was hard core about it, and people brought cash.

1 Like

I go to an awesome sandwich shop that is cash only. I often see people try to pay with cards. The workers just say, “Sorry, cash only,” and the customers go in search of an ATM because the sammiches are really good.

1 Like

If they want it, they’ll bring cash or go get some.

I used to have on my Ebay, back when they’d let you, for payment I had will accept Paypal, money orders, well concealed cash, precious metals, guitars, and used cars. Someone sent me a 1oz silver and 1oz Copper coin as payment.

3 Likes

Now, that’s cool.

The CC companies also really rip off small businesses.

2 Likes

Banks around here all run their debit cards thru a third party called Shazam, partly because there is so much debit card fraud these days.

Recently I was wanting to watch an old movie that is only provided by YouTube, and they wanted like two dollars to unlock it for me. I used the YT/Google store to rent the movie and Shazam blocked it cuz their computer didn’t recognize it as a kind of transaction I was likely to be making. I hadda call them up and pitch a fit, or else wait til the next day and call the bank and have THEM pitch a fit. All over two dollars.

So my current practice is, I no longer use actual credit cards at all…just a debit card and a couple of prepaid Visas, one with a fifty dollar limit for the dodgy sellers and another one with maybe a $300 limit. And I try not to use the debit card at all online, unless I’m buying plane tickets or something.

1 Like